Tuesday, March 23, 2010

spa day

Alone, we discover who we are.  


Last week, a massage -- ah, to be touched, the warmth of the table penetrating into my inner organs and beyond.


You are someone who knows how to receive a massage, the therapist says.  I have some clients, he says, who can never be pleased, they don't know what their bodies want.


Knowing isn't getting.


I thought I would get the massage and go, before returning to the on-going slog of the IRS tax audit and Memorial Sloan Kettering bills (the subject of a future blog).


Instead the therapist brings me a glass of cucumber water and invites me to the stay the day at the spa, lounging in a room overlooking the water.


Why not?  


Five hours later, sated with several naps, lunch ordered from the adjacent cafe, and a mug of honeyed tea, I sink into my body.


For the moment, she had what she wanted.  A purification and a peace not felt since Rich's death, and a long time before that.


I make another appointment, a month away, for my birthday.  Not a celebration, but a restoration of a body in disrepair and a soul lost, getting what she needs, if not what she wants.


Candace













No comments:

Post a Comment