Tuesday, February 15, 2011

champagne and chocolate

On Sunday I went to the spa, my indulgence for the year. I'm a regular; the staff knows me.


"Can I get you anything else?" she asks, handing me my slippers.


"Ummm...champagne would be nice."


"Got it."


I laugh.


I exercise. I shower. I put on the robe for a respite in the Tranquility Room.


"Chocolate would be nice, too," I tell the staff person.


"Just put more out," she says.


And she points.


The champagne is in an ice bucket. The chocolate selection -- artisanal, four varieties bred in tropical locales -- is laid out in hand-thrown pottery bowls.


I stare.


"I was joking," I say.


"I thought you read the e-mail. Valentine's Day special."


Oh, right.


I sip. Good. I eat. Very, very good. I don't have to remember. Enjoying is enough.


Candace





No comments:

Post a Comment