Tuesday, September 21, 2010

sunset

At a recent neighborhood picnic, several neighbors expressed ecstasy about the sunsets that could be seen from our homes.


Sunsets?


I notice, sometimes.  As I occasionally acknowledge trees, birds, but never sunrises, not if I can help it.  Which makes me wonder where my mind is most of the time, and where I want it to be, and when will sunsets matter again.


Rich and I used to take our sleeping bags outside and watch meteors.  And our after-dinner tea, most warm days, to watch sunsets.  And he, alone, to see the sunrise, and give me a report later in the day on what I missed.


Now I'm missing just about everything.  Because I don't yet know what I should be seeing in this world, alone.  And because I'm pissed at the sun and the moon that they don't know what's missing in this world, and damn them for pretending everything is normal.


Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment